Your Voice, Our Headlines

Download Folkspaper App with no Ads!

BULLETIN

A fast-growing newspaper curated by the online community.

2020 Election Shock: Kamala Harris Drops Out of the Race

• tag_facesReaction
  • Tip Bones

Early today, Senator and 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris announced that she will not continue her bid in the upcoming election. The news came in a post by the Senator on 'Medium,' in which she thanked her supporters and staff, and cited a lack of funds as her main reason for withdrawal.

"I’m not a billionaire. I can’t fund my own campaign. And as the campaign has gone on, it’s become harder and harder to raise the money we need to compete," she wrote in her post, "...to you my supporters, it is with deep regret — but also with deep gratitude — that I am suspending my campaign today.

But I want to be clear with you: I am still very much in this fight."

Senator Harris further promises in her post to continue her work "to defeat Donald Trump," such as stopping abortion bans, eliminating gun violence, and improving teacher pay. "Let’s keep fighting for the America we believe in, an America free of injustice. An America that we know we can be unburdened by what has been," she said.

Fifteen Democratic candidates remain in the race for the 2020 presidency, so the candidate to run against the Republican party has yet to be determined.

Screenshot of Senator Harris' tweet announcing her withdrawal from the 2020 presidential race

Comments