Create your own headlines

Download Folkspaper App


Create your own headlines on Folkspaper!

The Gwrych Castle And The Ghost That Haunts It, Everything You Need To Know

  • tag_faces1
    1. 1
    2. 0
    3. 0
    4. 0
  • 0
  • tag_facesReaction
  • Tip Bones

Ruins of ancient castles are spread across the world. But not all are quite as majestic as the Gwrych Castle in North Wales. In the early 1800s, the castle served as a private residence. Later, it became a site for medieval reenactments. But lately, it has been abandoned for several decades and restoration work is in the process. But as stands the legend, there is no castle, without a ghost roaming within its boundaries. And so is true for Gwrych as well. The Wales palace is rumoredly haunted and this phantasm has skyrocketed the castle’s popularity in mainstream media.

Tabloids suggest that the long-standing Gwrych Castle has been possessed by the ghost of one its residents, Countess Winifred. From 1894 until 1924, Winifred Cochrane, Countess of Dundonald, owned the estate and it became the residence of the Dundonald family (family name of Cochrane). The Countess left the castle in her will to King George V and the then Prince of Wales (who later became King Edward VIII). However, the gift was refused and the castle passed to the Venerable Order of Saint John. In 1928, Douglas Cochrane, 12th Earl of Dundonald purchased the castle for £78,000, selling the contents to meet the cost.

Reports suggest that Winifred still roams in the hallways of Gwrych. "I've seen some strange things and heard some strange things," said Mark Baker, who is in charge of restoring the castle. He remembered seeing a ball of light on the marble staircase.

"Terrified, I heard the chain on the main gates rattle slightly and then the footsteps began to advance towards me," the duty manager wrote on the castle's website. "It was pitch black on the Main Terrace, and I was waiting for the electrician to finish in another part of the castle so I could lock up. The footsteps grew closer and closer … and then came to a dead stop about a foot in front of me. Barely able to take a breath, I got out my phone and flashed its torch … but there was nobody there."